11.6.12

Wanted: Shoemaker's Elves

OH I ALMOST JUST WROTE "I COBBLED TOGETHER THESE TEN PAIR OF BABY SHOES".  Then I stopped myself.




But I did make these, and by golly they are going fast, y'alls.  It seems that The People want some soft baby shoes that stay on and promote sartorial self-respect at the same time.  I've told you before not to underestimate a baby's desire to dress well.  And look at this way: the better dressed your baby is the more people will want to hold him or her and the more times you can claim you "just have to run to the bathroom" while you hide in the loo and shoot a few rounds of "Words With Friends" on the sly.  Good plan, no?

Now, I need to talk sewing.  Thems be buggers.  I am having a nice time sorting out the technical issues of baby shoes, and there are many, so it may take a while.  Call these the Beta Shuz.




These fit a 6-12 month foot, per the guideline set by those most ubiquitous of baby shoes, the Robeez.  I realize of course that these are not styled so different from Robeez actually, but to me that like saying, "Hey, your t-shirt is shaped suspiciously like those other t-shirts!", as there's only so many ways to wrap a baby foot in fabric.  The difference we have here is in my patented Not So Damn Ugly® feature. Also, these stay one like crazy well.  But the elastic doesn't strangle the baby ankle either.  So take that.






So, it took me a loong time to make all these, because I have like 8,000 kids.  What I need is an intern!  Now that my studio is in the works, I'll have a respectable place to house an intern, and hopefully get this party started some.  For now, these are mostly sold before I posted them, but there will be a few available at Green Genes in Chicago, and a couple on Supermarket soon too.

Next up: the 0-6 month size.  I have to figure out exactly what is smaller about a younger baby foot and what is not.

5 comments:

  1. Lisa, you are amazing! How the flap did you make all those shoes with three little ones needing your undivided attention? They really turned out beautifully and I'm happy to see the neon thread in action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are amazing!!! Do you sell these??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do! I sell them at Green Genes, a boutique in Chicago, and soon on Supermarket. I finished a pattern for 0-6 months and need to sew up a batch soon. Thanks for the compliment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what kind of fabric are they made from?

      Delete