So I tried my first real garment from pattern the other day that I bought from Heidi & Finn. It's lined, even! I
First, here it is and you can say it's cute. Then I'll go on a self-flagellating bender about all that I did wrong.
Okay. It's totally slick, right? Supes cozy with a fine gauge sweater on the outside, soft jersey layer lining. Noice.
But because I got all cocky about modifying the pattern and going all renegade on fabric choices, things didn't go as perfectly as I thought they would. Too small because the fabric is too thick. Also, I thought maybe I would not use my serger and be "down with the people" and their zig-zag stitch. I clearly do not understand how it is done, because that too, I think contributed to the too-small final product.
And also this freakish separating of the seams. Oh, how I wish I knew how to sew.
And last, the proportions are wrong because I used the features of a pre-existing sweater and forgot to account for that, you know, mathwise. Sleeves too long, waist too short. OH, and I almost forgot. I made the button holes too big. Crap. But that's Singer's fault because the buttonhole foot DOES NOT WORK. Or at least it never does with the fabrics I use. So I have to draw a perfect little slot border out of a tight, narrow satin stitch and then surgically slice it open with an X-Acto knife. I mean, honestly. The indignity.